MY PLAYGROUND - I can still thank my lucky stars ***********




CAYO TIMON - a small private island oasis in the Honduran Archipelago of Cayos Cochinos. This island is owned by two of my new friends from Honduras, Romeo (pictured below) and G-Rod. I hope to remain part of their rat pack. We visit the island all the time and I feel like I've reached Heaven on earth, similar feeling to when I took Safari's in the Massai Mara in Africa. Really God's country, one need only look around and be intoxicated by it's beauty. I can't explain it any better. Your worries tend to drift away and you experience a high of exhiliration just at being there in it's vast natural beauty. I guess this is what those church fearing brothers and sisters mean when they say to drug pushers "I get high on Jesus". I usually enhance my high with a Barena beer.

It's an hour boat ride away from Roatan and much closer to the mainland of La Ceiba. If you look closely at some of the pictures, you can actually see the mainland in the back of the clouds.

The Cayos Cochinos Islands, also known as the Hog Cays, is a small archipelago and is located just 19 kilometers off the northern coast. The two larger islands are covered with thick tropical forest and are ringed by white sand beaches. The Cayos and surrounding waters were declared a marine reserve in 1994, with the help of the Smithsonian Institute, protecting all marine and terrestrial flora and fauna within a 460-square-km area from fishing, development or any other harmful activity. The reserve extends eight kilometers in all directions. There is a really cute little neighbor island called Chachahuate which is inhabited by Garifunas. There is also a Marine Biological Station and other scattered inhabitants on the other dozen or so islands surrounding.

Comments