BELIZE to BELIZEANS can still feel like a great place to vacation

I am feeling healthy, strong, it won't last long, I will gain the pot belly back in no time flat, I know, it always happens when I have get out of the house. After the hermit/recluse days comes the bingeing. I start socializing, drinking the Belikins, eating too much food after spending more energy in a day sailing, sunning, sipping, swimming etc. than I have in the past year and a half. Sooooo....I'm taking tons of photos now to preserve the "41 look" which was developed over the past year & a half where I failed to adequately nourish myself.

My Mom turned 77 today and looks marvelous in her "hot shorts" which she still wears. Not one wrinkle or cellulite on her legs after all these years and she still accepts compliments with a broad smile, from younger men, on those 77 year old legs. I told her today, I pray I have her spunk & good looks at that age and she assured me that I was
spawned from the finest of genes which put my mind immediately at ease after a year of fretting about old age and feeling like I am going to die an old spinster who scares everybody and sleeps with tiny dogs.

I am not trying to rub anything in -no salt in wounds or anything like that - I just can't resist gushing or gloating right now about HAPPINESS! I love everything about Belize right now, even the petty thieves who often make me dream of buying a shot-gun and hiding in the head of a tall coconut tree picking away at them as they try to climb in an un-invited window. The Caribbeans best kept secret, the mosquito's are far and few in-between these days since the rainy season is at it's tail-end and the best weather to be found in Belize is now & the next few months. You can count on clear blue Sky's, cool trade winds, happy tanned people & lots of margaritas, frozen AND on the rocks. The Mojito has become my new favorite drink for 2009.


There is that small window of a few months, in the Caribbean, when everything seems to flow perfectly.
The seas calm down one day and swell up the next, satisfying the windsurfers and the water skiers or divers on their way across the deep blue to the world famous Blue Hole.
The sky is usually very clear at this time of year & if you find yourself in San Ignacio like we were this week, you actually hear birds chirping when you wake up in your little fixer upper in the little abandoned sub-division at nowhereville.

If you play on the sea often, you are bound to see dolphins in pairs swim along si
de each other in total harmony. What makes you feel like you have to get out everyday these days, besides the good weather, is the fact that the hurricane season is just beyond, in the not so distant horizon & everything as you know it today, could be changed in a few months time should mother nature decide to send its wrath our way. This makes us realize how precious everything we have now is, since we sit in Hurricane Alley. Hurricane Alley is an area of warm water in the Atlantic ocean stretching from the west coast of northern Africa to the east coast of central America and Gulf Coast of the southern United States.


We didn't go to play golf, just to drink at the pool bar. It was closed, they had no guests, so they lent us a golf cart instead and we circled the island enjoying the beautiful landscaped scenery & 18 hole golf course, just a half mile within the second largest Barrier Reef in the World.

Before long, we would find ourselves back on Caye Caulker, usually now-a-days for me, passing through on my way to San Pedro. Island hopping is becoming the norm and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Yesterday, as we cruised on the dirt bike across the toll bridge to the Northern side of Ambergris Caye so I can look at the new development taking place over there, we came across a place called Las Terrazas www.lasterrazasbelize.com
Resort & Residences.

I liked the Mediterranean look, so I asked to stop in. Sweets & I lounged by the pool and drank expensive margaritas, and I swear, for a brief moment I didn't even realize I was in the country of Belize, the look and feel of the place transported me to a past life when I use to enjoy such luxurious hotels along the Indian Ocean and I was on a far-away vacation, in Belize.

Belize is beautiful, make no mistake, not one doubt in my mind, I have seen a lot of it. It's got it's ugly side too, but I choose to not see it. If you have not been here yet, you should start thinking about visiting, this Doctor prescribes it.

B.T.W. (by the way) I have a PhD. i
n Caribbean Living, no University can educate you as much as being present and doing the
practi
cal work. Oh yeah! I specialize in Talk Rass too.

Comments

sandy a said…
I can tell your spirits have been lifted by Cupid!!! Must've been the pic on the boat that caused his arrow to go flying your way!