SOME CAYE CAULKER PEOPLE ARE HARD EARS

Local island boy, I & I , goes past the beach slowly on the golfcart while Prince back from First World, his friend, islandgirl, childbride & I are sitting around the upper level deck at my mother's house. Island girl screams at I&I, only a few feet away, he doesn't flinch and keeps driving and looking straight ahead. I scream even louder his name, the whole neighborhood hears me, he still doesn't turn to look.

Islandgirl: "He's deaf, you would have to jump in front of the golfcart to get his attention"

Me: "True, I forgot he couldn't hear in one ear & hardly in the other. All those years diving conch and lobster at the reef when he was a teenager is the cause. He burst his eardrums just like so many of the young men on the island who free dive regularly and sometimes don't equalize properly."

Islandgirl: "Revelation! That is why, when people say that Caye Caulker people are HARD EARS" (figure of speech to imply stubborn, won't listen or ignorant),
"THEY REALLY ARE hard ears & don't hear a damn thing.

Comments