Addicted to Facebook

CT, MissD & Me having late afternoon coffee here in my little corner of Tina's Hostel after sending each other messages on facebook to hook up. We live right down the street from one another.
Rain drizzling outside falling on the glass window from the grey skies as we sip warm instant coffee.
My computer sits on the table in front of us & we keep passing it around showing our facebook page, pictures etc. in between sharing funny moments of our life's experience.
...
CT: "Facebook has taken over my life!"
...
MissD's & my head nod in agreement at the same time.
..
ME: "I don't know how to handle all those friend requests from people I know casually, I don't want to hurt any one's feelings."
...
I am telling them how I had recently accepted a friend request from an honorable woman who I respect and met briefly through my 5 year stint on a very important and prestigious Council of Belize.
Due to my free spirit and exhibitionist & rebellious ways, much to my own detriment I know, I knew I would not be able to keep up any charade for long and buy into the whole political correctness since I have problems engaging any kind of filter - so I had resigned.
I did not want to let myself down or any of these honorable people who put so much faith in me.
So, I felt a little weird when she sent a friend request.
"You think she will still respect me after she sees my pictures on facebook?"
I am asking the girls.
Before they could answer, I snapped out of all guilty thoughts,
"OK, who really gives a shit, I'm never going to run for politics ..."
/
CT: "the problem with facebook is that you can't lie to anyone anymore"
...
Ha Ha..
So!
I am almost as over-exposed as Paris Hilton's snatch.
Am all over the internet, this blog, facebook, hi5, twitter.....blah...blah....
hell - I can't even remember my screen name or password for twitter & can't find my account, haven't written anything hardly, yet people keep "following"
I believe all publicity, good or bad is for the good cause of promoting ones "Brand"
I am taking THAT marketing tip from "Paris Hilton".
After all, she is making a fortune selling millions of "Paris" this or that and the perceived airhead is on to something.
So "Tina's" is my brand.
I happen to name my hotel after myself and hope it will remain strong enough to take me financially into old age.
I figured I too will use the Internet as a marketing tool. The great invention of the new millennium.
Plus, as the face of a business bearing my name,
over-exposure is a given. It gets my brand out there and people come because of the crazy stories they hear, embellished or not.
.
There are certain myths people have of you that you have to try and live up to, especially the ones you create about yourself on your blog just to remain infamous, but truth is always stranger than fiction I have found.
A lot of friends I have met online, have come out & stayed at the hotel since I opened my facebook account not so long ago so that is a great bonus.
Just about everyone is lost in cyberspace these days and 8 out of 10 backpackers now-a-days carry a laptop and is on facebook or blogging.
One of my friends even describes herself as a "chat whore" even though she is at home with her kids at night, another praises the benefits of cyber networking as it translates to generated business.
I am ecstatic to connect with friends on Facebook who I once thought were lost forever.
...
CT the artist, isn't having the same success with facebook and selling her amazing digital art so far.
Some of CT's creative pieces are of an erotic nature and promotional pictures of it are on her facebook photo site .
As she tells it, she is in negotiations and about to sign a contract with a contact from her webiste who wants to buy some of her non-erotic pieces she had seen. A few days later, she gets a friend request on facebook from the woman. Because they are close to closing the deal, she felt she could not decline and accepts. CT reviews the woman's profile and is nervous when she sees that she is part of a church organization. By now, she is sure, the woman has seen her semi-erotic art on facebook.
...
A day or so later says CT, she gets an email saying:
"we are rethinking the order and we are unable to purchase your art at this time,
sorry blah..blah...bullshit,
we will keep your reference on file."
...
So we are laughing about this, and laughing about how we are hooked into facebook nevertheless, good or bad.
It's like the latest soap opera and we are all bit part characters in our own little cyberville which keeps us occupied and highly entertained.
What a great way to keep friends and relatives close.
So of course, I am doing my nightly chat with Twinzy in Belize City, telling her about our facebook cravings and how it is taking over our lives.
Twinzy says: "I know -this shit is ****ing addictive!!"

Comments

So _that's_ why you've never friended me back!
TINA AUXILLOU said…
Oh, I missed that one. Please send again, I am your friend!
Tom Wallis said…
Well, the Friend request wasn't under my blogger name (as above), it's under my real/official name.
TINA AUXILLOU said…
I sent you a request, please accept. Just so you know...you fall under that honorable group I got momentarily worried about.l.lol
Anonymous said…
We call it "crackbook"!
Christie from Texas