PLAYA LOUNGE - New Re-Opening in San Pedro


Moi, Island Meow and Miss H & Sea Fox at the new opening of Playa Lounge on the beach at the foot of the San Pedro water taxi dock in the center of San Pedro town. New owners are brits and promise a good "English Breakfast" all day long....I dream of it on hang-over days and will be back for some.

Oh Yeah....Ms. H on the far right, well, look out for her at the Reef Radio Karaoke final's at Jaguar's Nightclub on Sept. 17th, she will be singing with her beautiful voice & no doubt will have a great performance.

So there we were, a whole bunch of people partying, some I am introduced to over and over again over the years, who go through the motions of shaking my hand "nice to meet you" as I roll my eyes & in slight disgust. They genuinely show interest at the time of introduction, I bother to answer the few personal questions and tomorrow is, as if they have never seen me before and we get introduced again. I guess when you meet certain people over and over in bars, I realistically should not expect them to remember much the morning after.

I downed a couple of the free rum punch until I couldn't stand the sweetness any longer and moved on to the mojito at Mango's restaurant, before heading back to Playa Lounge for more belikin beers, rum & cokes, drambuie and anything else I prayed would give me a buzz to deal with with the civilized looking group. Made me miss a Belizean party, shit, Belizeans are pro's at creating their own excitement when out in this volume like found at Playa Lounge on this night, at least we can be sure of some excitement in the form of debauchery, a good fist or bottle fight and some loose girls gyrating on lonely looking men. Tonight here - No such luck, looking at all the ex-patriots guzzling booze but not moving much. I ho hummed at the dullness I felt, and if I was not out with Sea Fox & Island Meow, I would have regretted coming out at all.

We headed to Fido's which only cemented the fact for me that slow season or maaga season is here. Fidos is the kind of big central palapa bar downtown, with all the tourist trappings of live music, lots of smiling staff, and normally popping. To have had fun there last night, you had to have brought your own man (which I did), your own debauchery (which I did not) or your own friends (which I did & saved the night).

So we spent the next hour at Fido's hoping a group of drunken tourists would pour in and entertain us as I had grown accustomed on past night outs here. So with maaga season here, tourists are a rare commodity these days & the night just didn't wan't to pop. I spent a lot of the time looking at the high beams reaching up 50 feet or so at the center under the tightly woven thatch and wondering if I could be as brave as crazy Leo who often scaled it to the top on the busiest of nights until he was banned, dangling high above a curious drunken crowd, pulling himself up the wide wooden beams with only the strength of an insane person and muscular lean arms, usually leaving the patrons below gawking and expecting him to fall to his death any moment. The sheer adrenaline rush of that horrible thought makes you chug your drink & to me, seemed good for business.

So I wondered if I climb that beam to the top, right here, right now on impulse, create my own adrenaline rush.
I think I could, just too chicken shit to try since I still retain a small portion of my sanity.....before I could act on that crazy idea, the group decided to move on to Tackle Box and probably saved my life.

Comments